The entrepreneurial journey for any woman has its ups and downs. There are good days and there are those days you want to throw your entire business outside the window, quit and forget about it. There are times it gets frustrating to the point you second guess yourself and I have found that for my own well being as well as in the interests of my business to surround myself with women on a similar path. Align yourself with women who not only dream but also take action on their dreams; women you can bounce ideas off and women who can understand what you’re going through in your business.
I believe that women entrepreneurs have different struggles that men might not necessarily face, in my experience I struggled with being a great mother and a businesswoman This was when my daughter was born in 2014 and at that point in time, I choose to just throw the whole career away that had taken me 5 years to build. With what I know now, I would have definitely taken a different approach.
Here’s why you need to surround yourself with women entrepreneurs;
- It Can Be Done! – When you see a fellow woman kicking ass in her business and growing her business month after month, hitting their targets despite frustrations here and there, there’s definitely something powerful in that. You’ll always know at the back of your mind that it can and it will be accomplished.
- Cultivates Your Hustle – Surround yourself with strong-willed and ambitious women who get excited when new opportunities come their way. Women who don’t let frustrations bring them down because we know it’s only for a small period of time. Seeing this type of strength in women always builds my strength up as well and keeps me going
- Collaboration – Last year I collaborated with two of my friends and we did a fashion and beauty pop up in Mombasa. Julie, who owns Human Hair Center and Maureen Bandari who owns Bandari Beauty and me with New Level. Something that started off as a simple conversation, saw us gain new customers from a different city!
- Learn From Their Mistakes – Not only can we learn from our own mistakes we can also learn from other people’s mistakes and how to avoid such situations and how to navigate a problem of you happen to go through it
- Offload and Test – I don’t take it for granted that I’m able to vent to my friends about business frustrations that I might be going through. Sometimes you just want to diarrhea your frustrations and have a keen listening ear. Your friends are also perfect “testers” especially when you’re planning on releasing a new product in the market, you can always count on them for an honest or even hilarious opinion.
- Cheerleaders – Women will gas you up and cheer you on when you’re winning; either you’ve started a new business, expanded a business, gotten a promotion or a raise, killed a presentation at work, you need your friends to cheer you and celebrate with you.