Happy Monday! Happy New Month! Finally January is over, that was a crazy month; even the weather is different. A few weeks ago I wrote a post about taking risks, I highlighted how I suck at Networking. This week must have been a test from the most high because I was forced to get out there and talk to new people and create connections. Here are a few things that I learnt;
- Interact and listen: Don’t just start talking about yourself, listen to what the other person does and gauge if you’re fit to work together.
- Get a friend to introduce you if you’re people shy. I realised that friends always get extra with information about you.
- Smile and have fun. Some of the best partnerships are made over chill conversations as opposed to “work mode, so frigging serious, gotta make this cash now attitude”
What was I upto the last week?
Tuesday 26th/Jan/2016: I attended the African Luxury Forum at Kempinski. This is a luxury business conference focusing on emerging luxury markets in different African cultures. One thing I learnt from this is that we need to change our narrative as Kenyans and as Africans, tell our own story as opposed to the story told about us. 3 fun facts I also learnt is that:
- Nigerians are the 2nd biggest consumers of champagne in the world after France.
- There are 8000 millionaires in Kenya
- The richest man that ever lived was from Mali; Mansa Musa 1, the ruler of the Malian Empire. Musa amassed a jaw-dropping $400 billion during his reign from 1312 to 1337. (inflation adjusted)
Thursday 28th/Jan/2016: I was invited for a private dinner at Tribe Hotel organized by Diana Opoti for Uché Okonkwo-Pézard who is the CEO of Luxe Corp and is also the founder of the African Luxury Forum. Kelechi Amadi Obi the publisher of Mania Magazine was there, Wandia Gichuru the MD of Vivo, Mark Stephenson the founder of Sandstorm Kenya, Maureen Murunga of Amadiva Salon, Aprelle Duany who is a luxury handbag designer and lastly Beverly Amira the MD of Gong Communications. I had an amazing time with this crowd.
Friday 29th/Jan/2016: I have a Valentine’s Makeover/ Date Giveaway on Instagram. You get to win an amazing head to toe makeover and a date with a hot stranger. This is for my single girls out there. Check it out tag some friends and join in the fun.
I also uploaded my first YouTube video of the year. It’s about my favourite lipsticks, this is not your usual video and I tried to get creative with it. Watch it and comment.
I attended an Art Installation for Chichia London for the Ichyulu launch at the Circle Art Gallery. Christine Mhando, the designer of Chichia London was there as well as Arieta Mujay who is the head of PR at boohoo. Diana Opoti PR facilitated the whole event that was 3 days long. I’ll do a deeper post later on this week.
Extra: I realised that I rarely snapchat/instagram at events, I’m either usually enthralled with what’s happening or my battery is low. The struggle is real.
If you have any networking tips leave a comment below.